Potato and Egg Salad

Potato and Egg Salad

 My grandmother is the queen of potato salad. I have yet to find anyone who can out do her in the making of potato salad. Not everyone can make it where it tastes good. Most recipes I've tasted are really bland. She is the go to person for this side dish, and there have actually been arguments over who was going to eat the last serving of it. I have tried to mimic her potato salad, but I guess its care and preparation that makes hers stand out. I can come close to it because I have watched her make it many times and know the ingredients she uses. She hasn't made it in years due to her old age and can't remember exactly how she makes it sometimes, but I can come pretty close to her version with her advising me how to make it. Here, I am going to share with you our potato salad recipe.

Ingredients

5 to 6 potatoes (preferably Idaho potatoes)

2 stalks celery

1 small onion

½ green pepper

¼ cup sweet relish

½ cup miracle whip

½ cup mayonnaise

Half dozen hard-boiled eggs

2 Tbsp pimento

1 Tbsp mustard

Paprika

Salt and pepper

My grandmother doesn't make her potato salad with anything other than Idaho potatoes; maybe that is why hers taste so much better than mine since I use whatever potatoes I have. Peel the potatoes, dice them, and put into boiling salted water. In another pot put eggs in the pot and cover with water. I add salt to the water because it's supposed to help peel the eggs better. Cook potatoes until you can insert a fork but not falling apart. Drain the potatoes and put in a bowl and set in the refrigerator to cool. Meanwhile chop your onion, celery and green pepper. After your potatoes have cooled add the chopped vegetables to the bowl. Run cold water over the hard-boiled eggs to cool them off and remove the shells. Chop half of the eggs and add to bowl. Salt and pepper the mixture. Then add the mayo, miracle whip and mustard along with the sweet relish. Mix all the ingredients together. If it needs more salad dressing, add more to it as needed. Slice the rest of the hard-boiled eggs and layer them on top of the salad. Sprinkle the salad with paprika cover and refrigerate. The longer it sits the better it taste the next day.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8039244