Recipe to Disguise and Hide Fish - Puff Pastry With Fish Filling

Recipe to Disguise and Hide Fish - Puff Pastry With Fish Filling

 I don't know about you, but I used to have problems whenever I tried to give fish to my family. Every time I cooked fish, as soon as I started preparing it, my two "adorable" daughters suddenly turned into unbearable whining little "monsters". I got tired of having to bend everybody´s arm but I couldn't give up.

I decided I had to do something about it so I put my imagination to work. I "recycled" fish recipes I already knew to make them more suitable for fish haters. How?, you'll wonder. Well, here I'll show the first recipe that I came up with. You be the judge. My trick in this recipe is an ingredient with an intense flavour that kids love: smoked ham. Alternatively, you could use Spanish cured ham or even bacon but in those cases you should use twice as much as in the case of smoked ham.

PREP TIME: 15 MIN OVEN TIME: 20-25 MIN.

INGREDIENTS

300 gr. (10.5 oz.) puff pastry, pack chilled

100 gr. (3.5 oz. )smoked ham (German speck) in cubes. Double the quantity if you use bacon or cured ham.

400 gr. (13 oz.) skinned white fish loins

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 green pepper, finely chopped

1 tbsp. of wheat flour

1 glass of milk

a handful of grated cheese

1 beaten egg

extra virgin Spanish olive oil

pinch of salt

pinch of black pepper

STEP 1:

Pre-heat the oven to 200º/180º C (356º/391ºF). Roll out the sheet of puff pastry onto an oven tray with baking paper underneath the sheet.

STEP 2:

Wash the fish and press it in your hands so all the water in it comes out. Saute the fish in a medium-large frying pan with a splash of Spanish olive oil over a medium heat. You can start mincing the fish with a wooden spatula. Once the fish is cooked through, remove from heat. If you want the fish to be more minced, you can use an electric chopper. That way, you'll be able to hide it even more. Spoon the fish onto a plate.

STEP 3:

Pour 2 tbsp. of olive oil into the frying pan where you cooked the fish. Saute both the onion and green pepper gently over a medium heat until almost tender. Mix in the fish you had on a plate. Add the smoked ham or speck or bacon or Spanish cured ham. You can add more oil if you see it's a bit dry.

STEP 4:

When all the ingredients are cooked, mix in 1 tbsp of wheat flour. After 1 minute, add the glass of milk and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. After 2 minutes, add the grated cheese all over the ingredients, stir well and cook until it melts. The mixture should be moist but not runny.

STEP 5:

Spoon the fish onto the left side of the pastry, leaving 1 inch margin around the edge. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg and carefully fold the right half of the pastry over the left half so it fully covers it.

STEP 6:

Seal the three sides shut by pressing them down with a fork. Brush all over with the rest of the beaten egg. Bake at 180ºC (392ºF) on middle rack for about 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Times may vary depending on the oven.

STEP 8:

There you have it. Don't tell that it contains fish and see if people can notice it.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9057751